Provo Bicycle Committee Member and UVH Employee
The League of American Bicyclists has recognized Utah Valley Hospital, Provoâ€™s second largest employer, as a Bronze Level Bicycle Friendly workplace. This award honors employers who have a strong commitment and dedication to bicycling. In order to achieve this designation, UVR was measured according to the following criteria:
- SupportÂ local, state, and national bike advocacy
- OfferÂ classes on bicycle safety and maintenance
- ShareÂ bicycling information and resources with employees and guests
- TrackÂ data related to bicycling
- HaveÂ dedicated staff focused on bicycle-friendly improvements
- Be easily accessible by bike
- OfferÂ convenient, secure bike parking
- FosterÂ a positive internal bike culture
- CelebrateÂ Bike-to-Work Day and Bike Month
UVHâ€™s new Employee LiVe Well Bike Locker Room is just one of ways that the hospital shows its commitment to being a bicycle-friendly employer
About the achievement, UVH administrator Scott Walker observed, “This designation and our future commitment to promoting bicycle is in perfect alignment with all of our LiVe Well efforts. In 2017, Utah Valley Hospital will actively support Provoâ€™s Bike-To-Work Day and Bike Month. We are just laying a foundation here. As the new Utah Valley Hospital, which is currently under construction, takes shape, watch for other changes that will help us align our facilities and our culture with a two-wheeled lifestyle.”
Among these changes will be improved bicycle parking for employees and visitors, accommodating pedestrians and bicyclist through its enlarged campus, and support for the city and UDOT making the surrounding streets more bicycle-friendly.
The blue lines indicate existing bike lanes, the pink lines show planned bikeways. In the near future, UVH will be surrounded by bike lanes allowing employees, visitors, and others to safely and conveniently bike to and through the hospital campus.
UVHâ€™s willingness to make accommodations for those who opt to bicycle make it a better employer, health care provider, and member of the community.