Action Alert: Federal House Bill Threatens Safe Streets
The new transportation bill is a huge set back for bicyclists around the country. According to the American League of Cyclists, the bill:
- “Destroys Transportation Enhancements by making the program optional
- Repeals the Safe Routes to School program, reversing years of progress in creating safe ways for kids to walk and ride bicycles to school
- Allows states to build bridges without safe access for pedestrians and bicycles
- Eliminates bicycle and pedestrian coordinators in state DOTs
- Eliminates language that insures that rumble strips “do not adversely affect the safety or mobility of bicyclists, pedestrians or the disabled”
Yikes! After so much progress has been made, this bill is extremely troublesome and would do a great disservice to those of us working to make our cities a better place for pedestrians and bicyclists.
You can learn more and make a difference by reading the information and contacting your representative automatically via the League of American Cyclists website. Please tell your friends and don’t delay – let your elected officials know how much you value safe streets.